Thread: War time hacks
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #83
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Thanks for the corrections! None of those items definitely indicate a military model- my mistake. They are features more prevalent on military models, though. As you pointed out, IMZ did make the M72 for both military and private use, but KMZ M72 production was mostly military. The wheel hubs are KMZ. If this is a 50s bike, then IMZ had switched to the bottlecap type by then. With the overarm sidecar frame, wheel stand, and Dnepr hubs, it's a better than average chance the bike is a military model, which means better metalurgy and quality control. There's lots of drab painted M72Ms out there but not many true military models, especially in the US. The star stamps would tell. If the owner really did bring it back in the fifties that makes a better chance it's authentic military too.
I'd like to see pics of the tub if it's there, too. Mounts for guns, ammo boxes, etc. on the tub would be a giveaway.

My point was that this pile would be worth the time to get back on it's feet. I suppose there's no way to tell for sure the provenance.

I'd like to know what that "air cleaner" feature is- some kind of vented gas cap? It looks like it was engineered to fit there for some reason.

The "air cleaner" on top of the tank is actually an old tin bowl covering the hole for the missing gas cap.
I'm sure a person could obtain the old hulk in its' entirety but the owner said he was offered $2000.00 for it last year and turned it down.
He refuses to piece any of it out.
I'd really have to want it bad to pay that amount....money talks, so a guy might get it cheaper.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote