View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #2145
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Honda NX650 Dominator 1992 62,000 km

I'm in the process of giving the old girl a bit of a rebuild ready for a ride around Australia later in the year... It was using a fair bit of oil....

I posted some pics in the XRL thread to get some opinions, I might as well post them here also for anyone that's interested...

It seems a previous owner has replaced the cam-chain, rings, and given it a rough hone at some stage....

Patent pending valve spring remover (someone borrowed my real one years ago and I never saw it again)

I'm thinking the cam and rockers will be ok, they seem unchanged since I had the valve cover off 7000km ago...

There seems to be a little slop in the valve guides so I'm expecting to have to replace them..

Valve stem diameter: (mm)
IN Standard = 6.575 - 6.590 .. Service Limit = 6.56 ... Mine = 6.578
EX Standard = 6.565 - 6.575 .. Service limit = 6.55 ... Mine = 6.552 (right valve at the narrowest bottom of the guide area (the left is a little bigger at 6.565)

The Exhaust valves are pretty close to the service limit, I'll see what the machine shop say, I'll probably replace them...

I'll probably do a re-bore, oversize piston/rings, piston pin/clips, valve guides and maybe valves... I'll pull the clutch and oil pump apart over the next couple of days and measure/inspect them... I might replace the seals and thrust washer in the oil pump and replace the oil seal on the end of the crank...

Comments and suggestions welcomed.. Can anyone think of anything else I should be looking at while it's all in bits?

Thanks

FLICKIT screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 06:34 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote