View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #77
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Okay, I have revisited this thread.
I currently have a pair of SG10s and a pair of Balance Oiled - I LOVE them both. I use the SG10s for off road, and racing. and the Balance for commuting.
However I am seeking something in between protection wise, for Adventure rides. The G-Midland seems like a good option. I really wish they used a 3rd strap up top instead of Velcro.

Brian,
I have some questions regarding sizing of the G-Midland.
I wear a 10 / 44.5 in the "Balance" and they fit great.
Based on your comment below, should I go up a size?

Thanks
I purchased a pair of these last month. I spoke with Brian at length about my needs, debating between these and a set of the SG10's. I already have a pair of the Aerostich Combats, and wanted something more protective. First, the Midlands are great boots. Well made, Italian quality and comfort. They are a step up in protection from the Combats, but not a huge step. They don't come close to a true MX boot. For me, most of my non-road riding is forest trails and easy/moderate single track. Shifting and braking feedback was important, so MX boots don't get worn often. I wouldn't want to wear these boots on technical single track. I'm sure they'd be marginal protection wise, but they are pretty, and I wouldn't want to tear them up (yet).

The sizing of boots is always a pain for me. I have a wide foot, that doesn't translate to EU sizing very well. My normal foot size is a 9.5 Wide, or a 43.5 W EU. Brian suggested a size 10 or 44.5. At first, the boot fit great, but a hair big, felt about 1/4 size large with normal socks. I think the leather did stretch just a touch since I've worn them. They are a little tight width wise, but not painfully so. After I wore it a little, I decide to put in a Dr. Scholls sports insert. That turned out to be a mistake for me. It cause cramps in my foot arch. I switched back to the normal insoles, and went with very thick socks. Boots fit well enough with this set-up.

Overall, I think these are great boots, and will be my goto boots for 90% of my rides. I may need to get a set of SG-10 in the future, or stop riding technical single track. I'm getting too old to keep breaking bones.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote