View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenool View Post
I definitely wasn't including the Tiger as a budget option. I've seen a couple 2003-2005s out there since I started this thread and they're all selling for about the same as an ~07 Wee Strom ($5k +/- $500). My reasoning for the Triumph was the "wow" factor I keep hearing about, plus the fact that I basically own the hunched over version of the 650 Strom in my SV.
The Tiger lost it's 9.3" (230mm)/7.9"(200mm) long travel suspension after 2001. 2002 forks reduced to 180mm, and 2005-2006 were 170mm just like the 1050. All were 43mm damper rod, KYB non adjustable forks; but the fork caps can be replaced with pre-load adjusters off a Speed Four.

2002-2006 were very much road oriented, with the 2005-2006 going further (less suspension travel) and loosing the wire spoked wheels. The 2006 had 1050 lower cases. If for some odd reason you feel the Tiger is underpowered just swap out cams/heads/pistons and use Speed Triple ECU maps (download free from TuneECU ). For reliability on any ADVenture tourer, I recommend keeping the motor and auxilliaries as stock as possible.

Just as the Tiger needs prep for off-road, a V-Strom would need the appropriate suspension mods, protective farkles, and appropriate tyres.

The opposite end of the spectrum from the BMW R1200 GSA is most likely the KLR... Interesting video on DS/ADV bike selection criteria: "Which Dual-Sport Motorcycle is Right for You?" Although a bit extreme, there's a lot of truth supporting the opinion.

A significant determing factor in selecting your motorcycle is: if you plan on adventure tours across borders. Be aware of the cost of Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) A trip into Egypt would require security = 800% the value of your vehicle. South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal) or Iran: 500% ; South America: 300%; Kenya, Nigeria, Libya, the Middle East, Malaysia or Singapore: 200%. The rest of Africa, Japan, Australia or New Zealand: 150% .

Add to the planning the availability of spare parts and adequate fuel. Sudenly air-cooled and carburated XLs, KLRs, and DR become very attractive. An Indian Enfield or Ural would be brilliant!

Back in the day, they rode what they brung. Outta Sight Racing ran a 1972 Honda SL350 in a recent Baja 1000 followed by using the same bike in Flat Track, MX, Road Racing, and Trials!

Seavoyage screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 09:35 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote