Thread: Hawk 8
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111
Brake Hose

The Honda banjo bolt fit snugly in the H-D banjo, but what I had NOT accounted for was how short the OEM hose would be against the new fork length. Cyclebrakes.com offers custom brakelines through Galfer, they have a design sheet that makes the process a little easier, though I still felt the need to add a supplemental design sketch to ensure that I got what I wanted.

Potential issue? The H-D master cylinder takes a 7/16" x 24 banjo bolt, and Galfer only offers metric hardware. The M10x1.25 banjo bolt from the Honda caliper will be provided, and I'll use the OEM H-D bolt up top, but where the difference from SAE to metric caused the Honda bolt to be snug in the Harley banjo, it will have the opposite effect as I use the SAE hardware in the 12mm banjo. I'm hoping the gasketed washers will still seal the system, and if they don't, I'm hoping to "step" the washers to make a seal.

In addition to being longer, the new line will eliminate the solid pipe section and was intended to have a stiffener for protection in off-road applications, but my take on it is that Galfer received the order and said "don't look at his drawings, they're not on the correct letterhead."

Either they were in a hurry (I would have a hard time believing that, since I read on the site that they ship custom orders next day, and this custom order took almost two weeks), or they just don't pay attention to what the customer asks/pays for...disappointing no matter what the reason.

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 05:45 PM
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote