View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

I have been putting together a route which links the Puppy Dog Route (and thus the TET) to GravelTravel.ca's TNE route. This is a preliminary file, in three sections. All of this route has been ridden within the past few years by ADV Riders. I call the resulting 525 mile route the Northern New England Adventure Trail, Or NNEAT.

It is mostly gravel, with a few technical sections, and so is fairly big-bike friendly (By this I mean big dual-sports. This is no terrain for sport bikes or cruisers.) I will post more technical routes if interest is there.

One feature a rider should pay attention to is that much of the central section goes over a mix of state, federal, and privately owned lands, and segments can be gated from time to time. The route is usually accessible between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and often later into the fall.

It is particularly important to be aware that you may be sharing the road with vehicles ranging from logging trucks to hikers. Some of these users do, in fact own the road. Pay attention and be polite. I've never been hassled, but know those that have been. Enforcement in the remote sections is generally by Fish and Game personnel. These guys have my greatest respect, but can be tough as nails, and are certainly not to be trifled with.

Although you may seem to be in the middle of nowhere, many of these routes are heavily used during the summer. It's better to obtain proper fire permits and pay camping fees, as the fines for not having them can be steep.

The first section of the route is a short connector from the top of the PDR to near my house. It is 50 miles, mostly over town-maintained gravel roads through some very nice Vermont scenery.

Per Dave's suggestion, I've eliminated a section through private property, and greatly simplified the number of points in the route. The new file is posted below, post 11. It is a preferable route.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Puppy Dog to Summit.gpx (569.0 KB, 678 views)
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 12:17 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote