View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #211
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
I guess that would be me in Australia.

Girl Guide biscuits and primary school chocolates tend to be done differently here; rather than door to door selling, basically the kids bail up any and all adults they know, especially those who don't have kids of their own also trying to sell them.

What we do get though, is Bunnings bangers. Bunnings is basically Home Depot in green instead of orange. Each "Bunnings warehouse" typically has a large BBQ on wheels, a 20 foot square tent and a bunch of tables. Every Saturday and Sunday it's all set up by the entrance and each week a different community group gets to sell sausages ("bangers") in a slice of bread for $2.50 to the passing parade. A range of sauces, mustard and fried onion is free.

They're an altitude thing. You'll see them at passes and at lookout points, but the sign at the edge of a town (the "city limits" is a very American term) typically says something like "Nhill population 1915" (or more likely, "Nhill Lions Club welcomes you" "Meetings in the Mechanics Institute third Wednesday of every month").

According to Wikipedia, Nhill is at 436 feet ASL, but then I doubt there is anywhere below about 400 ft or above about 470 ft within 10 miles of Nhill. (I was wrong, there's a small hill about 520 ft ASL a couple of miles east of Nhill)

BTW, you can figure out how Nhill is pronounced from the fact that the local motel is called the Zero Inn.

So having chosen "Nhill" pretty much at random as a small country town, I tried to find a sign at the edge of town on google street view. And here they are:

View Larger Map

And the Lions (etc) sign just before it, also weirdly on the wrong side of the road:

View Larger Map

Yep, and camera stores with enormous cameras out on the verandah roof too... (Though I doubt theres one in Nhill.)

It's 3 days into Autumn here, but there's sure to be something flowering somewhere...
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote