View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Calculate your fuel mileage by hand BEFORE doing anything to the engine. And because I know people (with degrees in Chemistry) that don't know how:

1. Fill your bike up. 2. Reset the trip odometer. 3. Ride it until the light comes on or some point there-of. 4. Fill the bike back up completely. 5. Now, take the number of miles and divide by the number of gallons you just put in. Example 143 miles / 4.2 gallons = 34.05 mpg

IF YOU ARE GETTING ANYTHING IN THE 40+ MPG RANGE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE BIKE

Do not do a canisterectomy. Don't do the SASectomy. If you change the exhaust don't have anyone retune/reflash the ECU with what KTM says is the appropriate map. I wouldn't even let KTM plug in a diagnostic tool (but I'm paranoid).

Why? You have one of the mythical fantastically amazing KTM maps that actually works. I'd wager money that the throttle is as smooth as a Yamaha R1.

KTM released a few bikes, mainly 07 - 09 range to my knowledge, that had a couple of rough spots in the mapping. In an effort to fix this a lot of us, myself included, changed throttle body butterflies, pulled the charcoal canister and the SAS system, to no avail. The only way I finally fixed mine was with TuneBoy and Ken Wheeler's dyno over at Deal's Gap. TuneECU is now the newer, better, cheaper version.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote