View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #130
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
@Joel thanks for dropping in ... please consider merging your information here. have always considered you one of the best technical resources on ADV. my prediction is your experience with computer controlled electronics will be invaluable when drilling in interaction between LiFePO4's higher voltage range and a modern motorcycle.

this is brand new ground we are covering right here on ADV!

if you go back in this thread... most of your info posted cannot help but overlap with what's already posted. for instance due to LiFePO4's flat discharge curve falling within a very narrow range. accuracy of your meter becomes paramount.

the unbalanced cell issue has been briefly covered in differences between prismatic cells and cylindrical cells. with a promise to drill in at another point. to me it's very important to convey how things work in the least technical manner possible.

Glazed eyeballs ... means info gets gleamed over instead getting read. Education on how LiFePO4 chemistry works goes a long ways towards a successful implementation of LiFePO4 in our motorcycles.

LiFePO4 in a race bike is a no brain fit. But successful use of LiFePO4 batteries in an adventure bike requires knowing your charging system is mated to LiFePO4's higher voltage. just as important ... learning how to start your motorcycle in cold conditions with LiFePO4 is a requirement.

question that comes to mind ... is it worth going to all this trouble to save 10lbs off my R80G/S?

getting ready to go for a ride from Tulsa, OK to Elgin Kansas with Shorai LFX21 AH (pb eq) doing the duties.

--------------

Martel MC-1000 Multifunction Calibrator is a handy tool to have around when accuracy is a concern.
Cellpro Powerlab 8 is the most powerful battery workstation available. surprisingly affordable compared to Fluke prices

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 05:31 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote