View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #140
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigravity View Post
Hey Cy and the hard core adventure riders...

I'm not understanding something, most likely because I'm not an Adventure Rider...but it seems sort of obvoius...

I keep seeing testing of voltage, an comments about starting in cold weather and questions, if Lifepo4 can handle a trip around the world. But what I'm not getting is that you have a technology that due to its extreme small size and high power would allow for a redundant battery system, yet I don't see anyone speaking on that...

If I was going into the deep places of Africa or where ever I would take two 12-Cells or a 12 and an 8 and laugh away that day knowing I have a system an a back-up. I would want security...Though I preach about getting the most power you can having a redundant system would trump that and provide for the massive power and amp hours if I needed itplus give security . Keep in mind the battery that sits doing nothing is not going to lose voltage/energy during the whole adventure... but if some trouble should start just a have a quick parallel connection for starting in the most freezing of weather at 720 Cranking amps and laugh at Jack Frost or just a back up source of power for a GPS...
totally agree... light weight of LiFePO4 batteries makes carrying a backup feasible. in post #117 covered that when weighing SYCL battery. fortunately R80G/S has a kick starter so already got a manual backup. which almost no modern Adventure bike has any more.

testing data has shown Shorai LFX21 AH (pd eq) is up to the task reliably starting a motorcycle down 30f degree. which still doesn't leave enough margin for error for an adventure bike in case one should be using heated gear combined with a short ride. By doubling AH rating with Shorai 36 AH (pb eq) 540 cranking amps. it barely breaks a sweat starting R80G/S.

for the short trip to Elgin Kansas. predicted low temp was 40f + so starting R80G/S was not even a concern with Shorai LFX21 AH. Data on how charging system fared with 14.5v voltage regulator was what I was after. Just so happens due to high wind conditions, average speed for 100+ miles was much lower than normal highway speeds. ended up with ending resting voltage of 13.4v after 100+ miles. fully charged resting is 13.7v after charge dissipates from 14.5v with higher regulator.

got a trip planned soon ... R80G/S down to Florida from Tulsa, OK with Shorai 36 AH (pb eq) and 14.5v voltage regulator for a proper shake out ride. while SYCL 2.3 AH is the ideal battery for race bikes. it'd make an excellent backup battery for Adventure bikes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post

my methodology is simple ... carefully and accurately track all the metrics that matter. then as problems shows itself. use the data to determine why/if problems are happening. if need be drill in to find a solution.

if I can use LiFePO4 battery in an adventure bike successfully. then it's pretty safe to say li-ion is ready for prime time.

this picture shows the HUGE weight/size difference between a 14lb BMW Gel battery vs a SCYL 2.3AH with 4x A123 cells at 12oz. ..... now I would not consider using a 2.3AH battery in an adventure bike. but saving 13lb+ in a race bike is substantial!!

come to think of it... this little powerhouse SYCL battery would make an excellent backup battery for an adventure bike without a kickstarter.

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 05:35 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote