View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Planning for Forever West 2012

I've been mulling over various routes for a long ride this summer with my son who is going to be visiting after three years in S. Korea, and before taking off to Australia for a year or so. Father & Son ride! He'll be on my WR250R which hauled me over the TAT last year, and I'll be on my new Husky TE630. The former is all farkled for long trips, and the latter is almost there too. Just have to install my Garmin 276C and replace the counterbalance shaft woodruff key. Think I'll get an Uptite single can exhaust too if George completes his development work on that particular model.

I spent some good time talking to Tony Huegel yesterday about the gps route and will buy it from him as soon as he makes a few modifications to improve a section or two. I thought long and hard about whether to make this ride a little more technical, but it appears that a few good sections are thrown in but most is on good gravel roads with spectacular scenery. We may miss the Fall Color prime time, but not by much, by leaving Colorado in mid August. Out third member has been put in charge of making sure we don't get a lot of rain. He is the guy we will blame if we do..... Looks like we are all going to have to carry a Rotopax can for extra gas for lots of the ride. I have a 6.6 gal on the Husky, and the WR has a 3.7 gal tank. That's not quite enough for the Big Empty.

Things to do yet: get warmer sleeping bags as it seems we can expect very cold temps at elevation, even at the end of August. Rawlins WY gets to 45 or so at night, and that's less than 7000 ft. elevation. We will be at 9000 plus so we can figure 20 degrees and more lower some nights. A 0 degree bag sounds about right even though it's Summer.

Next is tire selection. I generally run D606's but I'm thinking that with the better roads on this trip I need to go with something with a little longer life. I'm not sure anything will last the 2800 miles on the Husky other than a Heidenau or Mefo. The fact that they seem to be a bitch to install and remove doesn't warm my heart, and I am tempted to find something else, but what? A 50/50 would probably be ok, but as I recall Tony implied that we will be doing Eagle Canyon and maybe Black Dragon in Utah. Gotta finish re-reading DockingPilot's report to confirm that. Deep sand is not friendly to 50/50 tires! I missed Eagle Canyon on the TAT due to some bad thunderstorms and would really like to put my tires thru there. As for Black Dragon, we did that right after a flash flood and it was a lot of work. Road sections up on the banks were washed out, boulders and rocks in the wash were re-arranged, and not a single track thru there since the flood. 'Had to walk almost the entire thing to scout out a route, not fun in the heat and wearing riding gear. But that's another story.

Ah, just double checked and it appears the route doesn't go anywhere near Black Dragon or Eagle Canyon. My Bad.

Anyone make this ride since the 2010 ride report, and any advice or pointers as to route, other things to see, places to stay, fuel, etc.? The history along this route is just amazing and I can't wait to get out there.

Blaise W screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 08:56 AM Reason: Correction
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote