View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #144
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
2bold I agree, weight sucks as does complexity and I'd rather get it right then need redundancy, but....

For the F800GS and F800GS, two common adventure bikes... They have a basic module called a ZFE that controls power all over the bike and replaces a shit load or relays and fuses.

It is high tech, reduces weight, and destroys batteries. On occasion, the super smart ZFE glitches and fails to shut down when you turn off the key, which just sends a logic signal to the ZFE.

When this happens, there is no outward sign, but depending in what stage the shut down cycle glitches, the bike draws between 0.2 amps and 2.3 amps until the battery is dead dead, as in terminal voltage below 2 volts.

Lead acid batteries hate this, but the better ones can be recovered with a small booster battery and some aggressive charging. I doubt lithium batteries stand the remotest chance of recovery but could be wrong.

On the F8, incidence of the ZFE hanging is in the order of once or twice a year. The R1200GS is closer to once every two years, but regardless, if this happens while you happen to be crossing a desert... You will need an extra power source, or at least a solar panel with a hot charger to force current thought your super sulfated lead/acid battery.

A kick starter on a simpler bike would be better, but it is not the path most of humanity is taking so I think dual power systems, or at least a solar charger and discussion of what batteries can be recovered from stone dead is in order.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote