View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #1332
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,284
Here's my basic kit, still need to add some things, but I don't see a need to way over complicate things. My KLR didn't come with a stock kit.

On the right side, I have the tractor manual tube held on with 2 stainless clamps.

Stashed inside I have:

1) Lineman's pliers: pliers, cutters, and work well as a hammer
2)Small flat screwdriver with magnet on the handle side
3)Needle nose vice grip
4)Combo wrench, fits both front and rear axle
5)1/4" drive ratchet
6)Socket assortment, modified to remove sizes that the bike doesn't have and added a 1/4" to fit driver bits
7)Small needle nose
8)1/4" driver-doubles as extension for ratchet
9)Allen wrench in correct size to fit bars and forks
10)8,10,and 13mm wrenches
11) Big crescent wrench

I'm going to replace the driver and 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" extension and use the 13mm wrench as a handle as soon as I make a 1/4" to 13mm adapter.

In the lid I have sand paper in 160 and 400 grit rolled around the edges and a cut off sock stuffed in with a selection of hose clamps and cotter pins.

Still need to locate a stamped spark plug socket

I relocated the stock bag from the rear fender to the front fender and in it I carry:

1)Spark plug caddy-one side is a plug, the other holds misc electrical crimp connectors
2)Motion Pro tire levers, not the fancy Ti ones, mainly because I ride a KLR....
3)Spare 21" tube w/core tool
4) Gutted cheapo tire pump. Paid 50 cents for it at a garage sale, works great. I have a 12V cig outlet on the bike, so with 2 alligator clips, the cord becomes a charger to revive other bike's batteries.

I still want to add a small patch kit up here.

I didn't pull it all out, but in the ammo can I have:

1) Cheap rain gear-neoprene face cover
2) Spare lenses for my goggles
3)Harbor freight ratchet strap -tow strap or to hang the bike(or myself depending on the severity of the failure) from a tree
4)14 Ga wire double the length of the bike
5) Mechanics wire
6) zip ties in various sizes
7) Two short jumper wires

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote