View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,963
Hah! Barley is exactly the opposite. When he's startled or frightened he runs to us...and hides behind us! Part of that is the way I trained him. Because we travel thousands of miles from home I wanted him to run to me, rather than away, if the crap ever hit the fan. I've been so successful at that that I can't leave him alone (like paying for gas inside, or ducking into a grocery store to pick up some munchies) without him trying to follow.

This came to a head last summer when I really needed to pee in Malone NY, and the gas station's restrooms were INSIDE the convenience store. Because they served food, dogs were not allowed inside. I didn't dare leave him unattended on a busy street, so ended up stuffing my 75# golden retriever into a backpack and wearing him into the store as I snuck past the clerk!

Must work on the behavioral modification thing this year...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote