View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #34
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Hah! Barley is exactly the opposite. When he's startled or frightened he runs to us...and hides behind us! Part of that is the way I trained him. Because we travel thousands of miles from home I wanted him to run to me, rather than away, if the crap ever hit the fan. I've been so successful at that that I can't leave him alone (like paying for gas inside, or ducking into a grocery store to pick up some munchies) without him trying to follow.

This came to a head last summer when I really needed to pee in Malone NY, and the gas station's restrooms were INSIDE the convenience store. Because they served food, dogs were not allowed inside. I didn't dare leave him unattended on a busy street, so ended up stuffing my 75# golden retriever into a backpack and wearing him into the store as I snuck past the clerk!

Must work on the behavioral modification thing this year...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote