View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
My ice bike is a converted GN400, stripped down to look like a flat-tracker, with a Fastglas seat/tail and 18" rims front and rear, a Supertrapp muffler ($20 Ebay find) and some other minor mods.

Great fun,.....when it runs. Right now its a garage piece because I am pretty sure the stock CDI is shot. I can kick, kick, kick, KICK for as long as I can stand and nothing. I have spark (fat, blue/violet, it'll jump a 1/4" gap), I have compression (just ask my right leg), it has gas (even if I spray fuel into the plug hole, no go), carb has been gond through many times. New plug and plug cap, all connections checked and clean. I'm not new at this, been self-wrenching for 30+ years. Also not new to thumpers, I can kick start my XL600 w/o a decomp release, so I know how to kick a thumper.

I suspect its a spark timing issue caused either by the CDI or perhaps the 6v magneto/alternator. The bike has no battery, no lights, only electrics on it is to run the ignition. It used to run on the stock CDI, but got progressively harder to start, until nothing at all. My checks of the CDI with my VOM indicate most values off scale, indicating a failed internal connection. I have tried a Chinese aftermarket CDI (ebay) but so far no luck. Anyone else have experience replacing the stock 30-yr old AC fired CDI technology with something newer that works?

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 09:39 AM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote