1999 Beta Alp 250cc? I assume its the 2-stroke.
IMHO good for:
1. Technical trails.
2. The easy route at your local trial.
3. Getting to work and back if it's no more than a few miles.
4. The long distance trials we have in the UK (sorry).
5. Taking home a medal from a 'never get out of second gear' enduro.
6. Those who like having two or three bikes in one.
I have a 200cc Alp 4-stroke that is very different but a similar concept. £ or $ per smile it's the best value motorcycle I've ever owned (out of 20-something). If a 250cc 2-stroke Alp was available near me for $2000 and it was in ride away condition, and plate-able or plated, I'd buy it (even with my 34 inch inseam). Then again I like this kind of machine.