View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #1521
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I always thought it was to scoop the air through the radiator and protect it from stones thrown up by the front wheel.
I have a very "anal" friend who seems to remember everything BMW and he said something like this....
Quote:
as with most air/oil cooled BMW's the oil cooler sits in a sensible logical place, directing fresh air from above the guard (and grasshoppers bugs and remains of birds).
The beak is but a fashion item (unless you are actually running off road without the standard guard) that was used in the Dakar as a mud guard that was out of the way of the knobbie tyres and rocks that can foul a standard Design rule compliant guard, but it does help get more air into the oil cooler at slow speeds (and bugs and seeds and leaves) that will try and prevent the motor melting on hot days.

It is also just a rip off of the Dr Big front end. It's the shape that does all the "sensible" stuff.

Older ones just had a high plastic guard like a standard Suzuki dirt bike.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote