View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #47
igormortis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Trundled the mocked-up front end off to a friendly machinist to get the right bits shaved, sleeved, spaced and shimmed. Oooh-er.

Came away with ideas about double plugs and stopped off for something French and oily on the way home.

Pulling a starter motor out of a '90s French car reminded me very quickly of how much I dislike working on them. Merdé, merdé, merdé! Got there in the end, but man, it was a struggle.

The raison d’être is that the smoke escaped from my “Valeo copy”. I think I’m just inside the warranty, but I’m not gonna trust another one of these I’m afraid. A dead one’s worth more to me for the following experiment. Valeo D6RA - found in Peugeot 306, 405, and several other PSA group cars...

IMG_0001

French Valeo, left. Chinese “Valeo”, right.

IMG_0002

No comment on the branding.

IMG_0003

Guillotine! Three allen bolts, a torx screw, and a couple of soft rivets to drill out.

IMG_0005

Face, off! And on again.

IMG_0006

Since the car starter has the same number of teeth as the ‘Panda, I’m gonna see if it works as is. I’ll find out in the morning!

And as an epilogue to todays French sojourn: ironically, or perhaps fittingly, the Peugeot 306 seems to have FUBAR’d its clutch release bearing. Sweet bliss. Maybe I’ll junk it and steal the starter motor...

igormortis screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 04:30 AM
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote