View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 105
Production Update:
The machinist ran into a problem when running the second set of /5 and /5-cafe braces when a 'line' appeared on the facing edge. He told me it was caused by a transition point of the cutter and had to modify the geometry of the cut. More delay.....

I expect those to be finished by the weekend and will be dropping off a group of Standard (/6-7) braces for him to re-bore into a Mono. This will save a great deal of time as the only difference is the end tube bore size and won't have to machine all new parts. The down side is it uses what little inventory I have and will have to come back and make more. It's always a trade-off.

Also delaying the custom engraved café braces for Max BMW and Good Spark Garage by a few days to get the Mono's done.

Breaking in a new machinist and basically starting from scratch has been a real 'learning experience' for me. I had badly misjudged what it takes and the time needed to create all new programming, much less debug and tweak the actual machining on the fly. I was really naive about the process. The good news is.... once this is done I will carry a small amount of inventory and the lead time will just be the actual machine time to make one. That will allow more focus on the custom stuff for customers and other new products I want to make.
80 CBX-SuperSport~91 R100GS-PD~04 R1150RT
Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote