View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #87
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I gotta dig into the books i have in storage.
I'm sure that there is a 25yo copy Guzziology. A must have book. Google it.
If it's there, it is yours. Expect a PM in three days. (like the old tractor link)

The big issue with the generator engines is guys run'em with the mount loose and it beats the hell out of the gen's saddle mount.

Some of the early ones had no oil filter inside the sump. The crank pin has a large hole drilled in it and it's capped off with a plug.
The hollow crank pin acts to centerfuge the oil going to the rod bearing. With the sump off, the plug can be removed and the trapped stuff removed.
A lotta gray stuff... ash in the oil, it is an additive.
All Guzzis have a hollow crank pin AFAIK.

Up until mid-2002 all Guzzi crank pins/rod journals were carbon nitrited. Expensive process but made them harder than the hubs of hell.
Guzzis can loose rod bearing and the crank pin is none the worse for it. It can be cleaned off with wet or dry emery paper and not even touch the journal face.
From late 2002 the rod journals are induction hardened. OK but cheaper.

Guzzi main bearings last forever.

Check the rear wheel's cush drive... if it has one. Some of the earlies did not.
They can rust up solid to the rear hub and it causes the clutch splines grief.
A propane torch to the outside will do'er. Clean & Never Seize.

Red & Green.. "We'er in this together."
The first edition of Guzziology was published in 1993, not quite 25 years.

The usual reason the generator bracket gets loose in the first place is the belt is run too tight, the stress causes the bolts to fracture and/or the bracket itself to break and then the generator flops around. A new beefier bracket with an extra "leg" welded on extending back to the distributor mounting bolt and studs with hardened washers and nylock nuts does wonders to cure this issue.

The first Guzzi "big twin" with a disposable spin-on type filter inside the sump was the late 850T. V700s, Ambos and Eldos did not.

The sludge trap plug can not be removed with the crank in the engine - it has to be removed before the plug is accessible.

Guzzi main bearings "last forever" unless the owner uses automotive oil change intervals or allows the chrome cylinder bores to flake and embed into the bearings.

Eldos such as danedg's don't have a cush drive, the 850T was the first there also. My '69 Ambo has 100k miles on the original clutch, u-joint, driveshaft, coupler and rear drive (splines are worn very little). Riding like you have some brains and keeping the splines lubed helps...
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote