View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #52
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
There is a way - not easy - to modify the old V3 TOPO or the old Road & Rec to have large segments... up to 8mb per segment (that's the biggest that Mapsource will handle).

The method for the V3 Topo is posted on the web.

I worked up configuration files to use the same method for Road & Rec.

The old Topo goes to less than 300 segments and around 1 GB.

The old R&R goes to 95 segments and 400 MB.

I also run the old Metroguide V8 (not locked)... it has around 1500 segments for the whole US and Canada.

I looked at converting TOPO2008, but ran into problems and never got back to it... it might be possible.

I don't know the segment size of other products....
Thanks Northern Traveler. I still use R&R, I believe I have the old TOPO 3 disk version but don't use it cause it's old and way back it used to "fight" with my German, Austrian, & Italian mapsets....which I haven't used in years. I recently acquired TOPO2008...because it is newer, a decent product (as suggested by someone one heck of a lot smarter than me with Mapsource), and because it's unlocked. If you could direct me to a link for your "large segment" technique it'd be appreciated. Ed
PS: Googled around and found "Combinemaps.exe" which probably is one of many methods for making large segments......

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 11:30 AM Reason: Answered my own question
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote