View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
randel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xR1150GS View Post
It's not the road surface smoothness that bothers me, thats one of the reasons we want to travel those lands. But I was just wondering about safety. I ask this because on the website of our belgian department of foreign affairs the following is stated about Georgia: " It is strongly discouraged that foreigners go to the following regions:
the region around the border with the republics of the Northern Caucasus (Chechnya, Dagestan, North Ossetia) and the valley of Pankissi above Akhmeta
the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, including the area near the demarcation line between Georgia and these two areas." I think its just bollocks then?
I thought that you are not talking about roads smoothness
To be honest, we never felt unsafe in Georgia, but usual awareness and common sense is a must everywhere, also in Belgium I believe. There are possible problems on those areas though, near South-Ossetia and Abkhazia borders. We met border guards in Svaneti and they asked from us, did we saw anybody on the roads we just rode. So they are following these areas.obviously pretty closely, but we never saw anything not normal during our trip.
And that's what governments usually do, they will warn you if there is only slight possibility of problems.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote