View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
SKWERL
Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I'm running the TT bar set (Magura EX modified for heated grips) on my Dakar and have been happy with it once I got it all figured out. It took a while to get the order straight w/TT (their R1150 bar set looks very similar except the adaptors at the end are positioned differently to route the grip wires). I did not use the TT (Acerbis) handguards. I bought their kit but returned it--it was overpriced and would have required modified bar adaptors anyway.

I ended up buying a set of Acerbis Rally protectors (with the metal insert along its length), as well as a set of bar clamps from a company in San Jose, CA. I used the small bar end caps from the TT setup. The package works well and seems solid. Since most of the HW in the Acerbis package is not used in this setup (the handlebar end inserts/screws as well as the bar clamps), you might just shop for the actual replacement guards at a place like Cycle Gear and save some $$$ that will help cover the $50 for the bar adaptors.

If I remember correctly, I used the "extended KTM clamps" from the the clamp manufacturer (can't remember the name of the company--but they were a pleasure to work with and their stuff is first rate). I did cut a small slice out of my windscreen to make sure I didn't have any interference lock-to-lock.

bryan
2000 BMW R1150GS
IBA# 5818
SKWERL is offline   Reply With Quote