View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #62537
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Well, after approx 15k miles my DR decided to spring a leak! I got oil everywhere! I was riding a lot of dirt roads Sunday which caused the dirt to stick to my engine drawing my attention. I checked all the oil lines, cooler, valve adjustment covers and they are all dry. Leaves the cam chain adjuster and/or base gasket (which is the metal multi-layer one). I was thinking cam chain adjuster but I have oil on the front of the cylinder fins! Could the wind blow it around everywhere? I guess I am going to have to clean it good- fire it up and drink beer until I see a leak!

I am going to have to fix this- I can't point at oil leaking H.D.s and laugh when mine is also marking its territory!
I would bet it's the CCT gasket, the oil runs down to the front when it sits, making you think it's the base gasket. This happened on my 03, FYI the gasket is a bitch to get off the jug.

I didn't even use a new gasket, used Permatex Moto Seal 1, and let it sit over night to cure.

If you have never had a CCT out before, make sure you follow the proper procedures