View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #104
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,983
Thumb My2Sense

I had the opportunity last week to to wear my Midlands on a 2500 mile week long tour of Arizona and New Mexico. Everything the video explains is true about the boot. Toebox, comfort, protection, et al.
I wore these on the bike (2006 Multistrada) obviously, and they where what I'd call transparent. For new boots, I never noticed any odd-ball fitment issues, rubbing, chafing, or other.

My biggest concern was how they'd function with the foot controls on the bike. Even with the lug type soles there was plenty of feel on the brake and shifter.
The best part riding was these where totally warm even with thin boot socks. My toes got chilly only in the highest and coldest climate and elevations. At 7000 feet after a heavy snowfall at 7AM was the only time I'd wished I'd warm thicker socks. Otherwise, perfect.
Same goes for hot weather. Coming across the desert in 90 degree heat on the way out, my feet never felt like they were roasting. A pleasant surprise right out of the box.

Since we had 2 days of snow in Sante Fe, I spent alot of time tourista city walking, and pueblo hiking as well. I decided to wear the Midlands over my thin tenny-shoes that where in the saddlebags. All-day comfort is what I'd call these. More comfortable than a hiking specific shoe for me, and I have 'foot issues'. I never felt like I couldn't wait to get my boots off.

I wanted a one boot does all and now I have it. I won't hesitate to wear these dualsporting. And the best part is they are extremely easy ON-OFF.
The buckles work super easy.

As a note I've always been a SIDI person. I had a pair of Adventures. Great boot those, but a bit heavier. The Gaerne's have a better feel allover, and feel lighter to the feet. Oddly enough they feel like they have more protection. I love the soles on these kicks.
A very well thought out boot.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote