View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #105
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,880
Great vid Brian.
I concur with Rapid Dog.

I recently spent 12 days in my new Midland boots, riding through Death Valley, Mohave, Joshua Tree, and Anza Borrego.

I only had a couple days to break in the boots before the trip. As discussed in this thread, Brian suggests ordering one size larger than other Gaerne boots that you may own. After much deliberation on this, I decided to stick with size 10, since my SG10s have become slightly loose. I am happy with my decision.

I am also very happy with the boots. I was looking for an adventure boot that is between my SG10s and Balance Oiled. I found it. They provide more protection than the Balance in the foot area, and the sole feels more supportive. I would like to see a third buckle, and a more substantial shin plate. But that is not a deal breaker for me.

We had every kind of weather on our trip, from 90+ deg heat to below freezing, snow, hail, and driving rain. Not a drop inside the boots. I was never cold.

The tread pattern is excellent, I was able to easily climb around on rocks at the "Racetrack", hike the "Ring Trail" at the "Hole In the Wall" State Park, and check out several abandon mines and ghost towns. Guys with metal toes had issues when hiking in rocks, and if you have a short inseam, metal toes can be down right dangerous tip toeing / pushing a big adventure bikes around.

And now the Midlands are used daily commuting to work.

I really like them, and I think you will too.