View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: San Fran Bay Area
Oddometer: 192
Well, I've fitted the first unit. The final result is quite neat - not my installation, but the simplification. The timing chest is now half empty. There are a lot less wires floating around inside the cover. The other major bonus is no brushes to think about. The quality of the parts looks to be very good.

The challenge with the installation is that because it's new it hasn't been customized for each bike. At the moment you get all of the parts and you have a bunch of wiring to do yourself. I know that this is going to get refined as we give feedback and install notes to John at euromotoelectrics. Things I had to do for example - shorten the screws that mount the field windings, get a few connectors, fiddle with the wiring (both the main bike loom and some of the removed items which are re-used). Over time I'm sure that this will all be taken care of by the supplier, but at the moment they have to send out a bunch of parts and have the buyer customize the fitting.

The early customers will also need to figure out a suitable mounting location for the combination regulator/rectifier unit. I mounted mine upside down on the relay plate (it's an 89 GS, with a 92 wiring loom!). I moved the relays to the front of the plate. I needed to drill a couple of holes, add a couple of spacer washer at the rear and clean off some paint for a good earth. In this location it should get good air circulation.

I've sent a bunch of suggestions to John about bike specific changes to his instructions. His notes at the moment as slightly confusing, but there are some good wiring diagrams which help clarify things.

Here's a link with some photo's

http://bcostell.smugmug.com/gallery/847163/1/38050969

bcostell screwed with this post 09-06-2007 at 06:26 PM
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote