Thread: All things CAD!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #37
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,529
I first started using AutoCAD right after it was introduced. Before that there were a few surveying programs designed to run on Trash80's and such. But they weren't graphical except for maybe displaying points. I went straight from a Wang calculator and HP67 to a real computer when my DPW got AutoCAD. They bought a PC with an honest to God hard drive, an unheard of amount of RAM (like may 4MB) plus a pen plotter and "D" sized tablet. But, unfortunately, there were no AutoCAD drivers for either of those yet.

That was total immersion because I had to write my own digitizer and plotter driver. It was actually relatively easy if tedious coding. I think I even got credit for it in my Basic computer class. But back in the DOS days 9/10's of knowing AutoCAD was setting up a batch file that loaded all your drivers correctly anyway. The software itself did little more than plot coordinate points and draw lines and circles. I still remember the Solar.dwg demo they had out. But that is about all I remember about that early version.

Believe it or not, I credit being left handed with making me an early CAD adopter. I was willing to learn ANYTHING that kept me from drafting and especially lettering. Lefties were just not meant to draft or use scissors. It is funny that I still think in AutoCAD even though I prefer working in Microstation. I guess it will always be my native language.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 06:45 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote