View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #43
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Very smart approach doing Canada, AK, the US then a break at home to sort things out before taking the EURO/Russia/Mongolia plunge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
-RR Radiator guard and protector. KTM made a shitty radiator. It needed to be protected
S' funny, KTM are a major producer of radiators. (VW, BMW, Triumph bikes et al)
Quote:
-Dirt Trick ironman sprocket. +1 up front. light, steel, 1 year warrentee.
I am very skeptical this product. It may EAT your chain prematurely before it ever wears out. Countershaft sprockets are cheaper than X ring chains. DID are the best! Keep an eye on things. One of the most common RTW traveler problems: shot chain/sprockets.
Quote:
-TT panniers (29L and 35L) Frame and rack. Good deal on Ebay for the Panniers. Got the insides and top "lineX'd" to get rid of the Aluminum dust. And my awesome mom sewed me some duffle bags that fit in them perfect. I definitely need to ride standing in soft to keep my from planting a foot.
Good move ... i've caught my lower leg under a pannier off road ... Not good, hurts like Hell. Curious ... Did you have to do any custom reinforcement of your sub frame area to carry the Zega hard bags and duffel bags up top? When I rode a 690 a few years back ... I looked and saw NO sub frame at all ... so how does that work? Fantastic idea on the inner cloth bags. I do the same. Only way to fly. Keeps your stuff clean, makes packing/unpacking fast, easy.

What (or who) is "RR"?
Quote:
-Seat concept seat foam and cover. Makes my bum happy.
OK for back to back 10 hour riding days?
Quote:
-I have a 20 L roll bag for my tent (Sierra designs lightning lt 2), sleeping bag (western mountaineering down 30 degree), and pad ( Thermorest Neoair or something like that. don't remember the name.)
-I keep all my street cloths a 25 L rollbag waterproof backpack. This comes with me into hotels and such.
-MSR dragonfly. Burns any gas or fuel. I run unleaded. I can carry 3.5L of fuel on the panniers. this is good for close to 40 miles if i need it in a pinch.
-MSR 4L water bladder.
-MSR water filter. need to look which kind it is.
Not sure how much camping you'll do in Latin America or Asia. I've traveled some in both (7 years in Latin America) and rarely camped ... ever. Too many people and not always safe. Mexico and Cent. America really not great camping ... but parts of S. America are OK, like S. Chile and Argentina. (Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego)
Quote:
-Klim badlands jacket and pants. Love them. Ive ridden 25 degree weather and 95 degree weather. all how you later and use vents.
Will get MUCH hotter in Southern latitudes ... but humidity is what will get you. But you'll figure all that out.
For now ... you really should have a GERBING jacket (never a vest) for AK, Canada and later in Russia -Mongolia. Life Saver. ( and maybe a low draw HID headlight, 35 watts instead of 55w and 3 times as bright ... DDM Tuning.com) I've run one for a year no ... never go back to standard headlight.
Quote:
-Sidi adventure boots. They are pretty comfortable and they keep my feet dry. On long days of offroad standing, i feel the pegs through the bottom. Not quite as rigid as they could be. But my feet are dry and warm.
Can you walk in them all day? Maybe walk around shoes?

All the best, hope the crappy Spring weather improves. Rain riding gets old! Hang in, stay warm and safe. (can you spell G E R B I N G ? )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote