View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,555
The way the SteelRat got around this problem when they last left for Cuba in early April when all this talk was going on after visiting with Lulu was saying that each person coming aboard was just going to be part of the organization, a card carrying crew member, and taking along their "personal effects" aka motorbikes.
Every ship needs their crew and I can't believe the transport of motorbikes on private vessels is coming to a complete stop. I just bet more captains will be "hiring" more crew who just happen to have motorbikes as personal baggage.

The other option will always be just be leaving out of another port all together and avoid Cartagena with it's new ferry or make the short run to Sapzurro and the launcha ride over to Turbo. I think it will be very hard to stop the loading and leaving out of Kuna Yaula unless the Panama immigration/aduana enforce it as well. Both aduanas will have to be the primary stopping point of the private boat motorbike shipping.

Will be more than interesting to see how this new ferry turns out.

John still in nice and sunny Medellin, Colombia at Mike's awesome new place up on the hill relaxing and riding a bit more before my Visa is ready.