View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Buster714 OP
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 628
Two Brothers VALE M2 Black Series Slip-on

Pricing and availability here... Two Brothers Racing V.A.L.E. M-2 Black Series Slip-On for F800GS 08+

Our neighbors at Two Bros made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I snatched up one of their V.A.L.E. M2 Black Series mufflers. I had never put a slip-on on a bike before, thinking it was an unnecessary addition for the price tag. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see what this pipe offered over the stock can:

significant weight savings
2+ horsepower gain
sleek, narrow profile
deep and throaty exhaust note (more like the twin it is)
improved appearance better matching the bike

The Two Bros dyno results show a gain of over two horsepower just by bolting this thing on! Two extra horsepower seemed to surpass anything else offered for the F800GS in the slip-on category, which cinched my decision...

I opted for the 'Black Series' in Carbon Fiber since it offered the aesthetics I was looking for...
Black Teflon coated cast magnesium end caps
Black Teflon coated billet aluminum inlets and outlets
Black Teflon coated canister reinforcement bands
Special Black anodized 7075 T-6 aluminum bolts that are the button-down on top of the refined Black Series.

Weight savings was significant over the huge stock can. I didn't have the opportunity to weigh the two, but it was quite drastic when picking each of them up...

The dimensions are much smaller and more pleasing to the eye IMO...

Installation couldn't have been easier...

Pop off the springs...

Unbolt the old muffler...

V.A.L.E stands for "Variable Axis Locking Exhaust" which is what Two Bros is calling the system that mounts the muffler canister to the exhaust tube without the use of springs or welding.

It pieced together and bolted on perfectly...

Before...

After...

So, what does it FEEL like? There is a noticeable decrease in back-pressure. This is most notable upon aggressive down-shifting since there's less increase in RPM than there was with the stock can. I can appreciate this since I like to drop gears into turns without having the force transferred to the rear wheel. It's not like putting in a slipper clutch, but there is a difference from stock (that most people won't notice). I happen to like it a lot! It isn't enough to affect deceleration downhill off-road, which would be a problem for me. I can put it in first gear and creep down a steep hill with plenty of engine breaking still there just like before. You'll notice that this particular slip-on exhaust just frees up the bike a little while zipping around town or winding it out through the canyons.

So, what does it SOUND like? It has a lot more grunt to it without being obnoxious. It feels great to blip the throttle on the bottom end, feel the torque and hear the fat new sound. I love it, and others have commented on it too. The guys at Rawhyde said it was the best sounding 8GS they've heard. I went outside and took a video clip a few minutes ago. Sound is best with the bike in motion, but at least this will give you an idea from the stock sound.
Sorry, the bike is filthy right now.

Pricing and availability here... Two Brothers Racing V.A.L.E. M-2 Black Series Slip-On for F800GS 08+

In the future, I'd like to add a Dynojet Power Commander and AutoTune to the bike to optimize the configuration, but it hasn't been necessary to date so other projects have taken precedent.

We have a lot of other brands of exhausts (Akrapovic, Remus, Leo Vince, etc) and air/fuel controllers (Dynojet, Bazzaz, etc) so please don't hesitate to browse the website or contact us for help with your machine.

More to come.

Buster714 screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 04:52 PM Reason: update
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote