View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #102
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Will you use Sardegna as shakedown for the 450RR or ride an enduro bike as most pros do?
The calendar and more details will all be revealed in the coming weeks, just as soon as the web-site is up and running. But the answer in the meantime is yes, I will race the 450RR at Sardegna. Sure, an enduro bike with a lighter chassis and a little more agile would be better for the more technical terrain of Sardinia however, it will not build my experience on the 450RR.

The Baja 1000 in 2007 would have been much easier on a 450 than the 950 bike we chose, but would I have been as good of a rider on a big bike today if I always made that choice, to go for the smaller bike every time I went riding.....certainly not. For me, time on the bigger / heavier 450 is crucial to get me in the best possible place for Dakar. Sardinia is all about the experience, particularly to get my road book skills up to speed and get some long hard days on the RR. I'm not interested in a result, there are too many other important things to work on than worrying about my seeding.

Incidentally, I will be running the 450 in Rally Lite trim for Sardegna, loosing weight and size from the bike. Sure I will run the suspension softer due to that but I have plans for riding the bike fully laden later in the year to get the suspension where it needs to be for Dakar. All part of the plan.
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote