View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #991
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_jedi View Post
Interested in 500EXC owners thoughts:... not that anyone has had to break into their clutch, but.

Through hours of internet and ADV research on the 500exc I'm obsessed- and need to buy one, though one detail I can't figure out - the new clutch incorporates "transmission friendly back-damping". I assume this is some type of cush mechanism, but what is it? I can't find any pictures or details anywhere. The KTM literature is vague, and I assume no one has had to put a new clutch assembly in their 500 yet to see what's actually going on...

There's definitely plenty of talk that the 500exc may not make the best adventure bike due to lack of cush drive rear hub, and some other small issues like fuel and oil capacity. Just wondering if KTM actually addressed the cush issue from the factory. Definitely something good to figure out before investing money in some Excels.

thoughts? would a cush drive still be necessary?

on a similar note: I also found that many street bikes incorporate rubberized front sprockets. Trying to figure out now if it's actually something that separates the middle from outer splines/teeth, or just rubberized to lessen chain noise. thoughts on that too would be great.

Best place to look at stuff like this is CheapCycleParts or RockyMountainAtvmc; check their OEM stuff
NOTE: Number 8 is the Damping Rubber that attaches to the Clutch Hub.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:41 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote