View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #246
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
Anyone using aftermarket luggage on this bike? I'd love to see some pictures and hear some experiences with givi or others. The wife loves the bike, but it has to work for the two of us!
I had a couple of Pelican 1550s from another bike. I bought the SW Motech racks for the SMT, then fabbed up my own brackets.

For my needs the Pelicans work great. They each hold 32L are are water proof and extremely durable. The mounting brackets I built have locks on them so they are locked to the racks when in used, but still come off quickly when at the hotel or camp site. I also added a bungee net inside each one to keep the contents in the box when I need to open them while still attached to the bike.

This is how I was loaded up for a month long trip last summer. In this setup I am still overpacked, but it was my first major trip. The yellow duffle is waterproof, but it only contains my camping gear (tent, bag, pad) and a few other light items. In total, this was 80 lbs. 30 in each box, 15 in the duffle, 5 in the tankbag. Like I said, I was overpacked.