View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
JimRidesThis OP
Local celebrity

Oddometer: 231
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
You should double check that right side cam bearing. The shield/seal on one side of the bearing should be facing the right side next to the oil cup/chamber. That bearing looks to be installed backwards, or worse its the wrong bearing.
Thanks for the heads-up on that bearing, I would have missed that completely. Turns out it's the wrong one i.e. no shield. Typical! Presumably that means that at some point the camshaft might not have been properly charged with oil, etc. I'm going to have to replace that bearing with the correct type so as the cam's coming out I might as well take the head off too and clean up the valve faces and so on.

Any hints on removing the cam chain tensioner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
I updated my 84 oiling system to more modern components. Its a straight swap and I you can read about our discussions regarding the dry sump RFVC oiling system on this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552341
Interesting and useful stuff, thanks again :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennythetiger View Post
You'll wanna fix that, they are a real pain to start without it. Make sure that you orient it properly before you re-install the cover, they can snap pretty easily if you tighten them down when oriented the wrong way.
I wonder if that's what happened to it?

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick" FOR SALE
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"
1992 TDM850 aka "The Motorcycle That Has Yet To Be Named" NEW

JimRidesThis screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 01:48 PM
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote