View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #11207
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,781
Thanks. Some really good points to consider. I really appreciate the time and thought you've put in the reply.

I'm using my DR to get the 'desert dunes' (eg most of Len Beadell's desert highways and east Pilbara) rides out of my system over the next couple of years. I rarely get to coastal areas these days... a couple of millenia ago I spent my youth visiting Esperance & Albany to tear up the coastal tracks and beaches.

Anyway, I'm kinda punting that the AT will spell the end of my GSA and become the 'new' dirt highway (eg Gibb River Rd, Tanami, Gt Central, Plenty, Birdsville etc etc) bike in my shed. If the GSA does go, it releases cash to spend on the AT , but I'll ride the AT stock for a while just to be sure it suits me.

The 43 litres from the TT would ultimately be perfect for me. I'm sort of familiar with the big weights up front because my DR has the safari tank fitted (current capacity 36 litres and growing as it ever so slightly changes shape over time) and of course the 33 litres on the GSA. I could only wish to be lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand TT so I'm fully expecting to pay the full price. TT also make some crash bars for their tank. More moolah. Tis disappointing to read about not getting the last few litres out the TT tank.

The rear tanks appeal, but I'm guessing they'll mess around with the mounting of whichever pannier racks I choose. Plus, they cost more than the TT tank! Anyway, I lean towards balancing the weight of extra fuel capacity up front against the luggage/water weight over the back wheel.

Currently researching which slip on to get for the AT. Mivv is in the lead at the moment but still plenty to go.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote