View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #1644
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
You're up.

It is one of the gravel roads just east of 19.

I believe the building was a school.

Side note: After riding about 20 miles of gravel out of Fossil, I came upon a "No Trespassing" sign posted by Wilderness Unlimited. The sign was positioned such that it seemed to be claiming the road itself, and threatened arrest for continuing. To be safe, I turned around, but I have my suspicions that is not their road, and they just want to keep the riff raff away. Signs by other property owners along that road were facing in a way that claimed only the land along the road.

The road showed on the map as going through to 19, and it looked like a public road. I have heard that Wilderness Unlimited has a habit of claiming more than they actually own, so I want to check with the Sheriff to see whether the sign is legit.
I think that may have been Buckhorn Lane, then, Or the beginning of Armstrong Canyon Rd.
I went there specifically looking for access to the John Day River, as Armstrong heads right to river's edge.
I saw the same damn sign, paused, revved my motor, went forward,,,,,but stopped and turned around also.
I felt the same way, it didn't look right, but the sign was well posted and it delivered a clear message.

The John Day is a "Wild & Scenic River" through that area and even River navigation is by permit only, I understand.
But still, I musta blew right past that school

coming up....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote