View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
CrookedChris OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question Twisted Throttle Quick Release Pelican + SW Motech Racks any good?

I've been scoping panniers for my G650GS for weeks and I can't settle. I am likely to do some camping and such where I'll be feet from the bike but I'll also be riding this bike on travels to more domesticated destinations where I'll want to bring luggage in with me for the night.

Thus what I'd really like is a set of cases that I can remove from the racks without having to open the cases. In the event of a downpour I don't want to have to fill my cases with water or drench everything inside while trying to unmount them.

I'm very attracted to the Caribou cases system but $800 is a little rich for my blood. For about $230 less I can get the Twisted Throttle Quick Release brackets, the SW Motech Quick Release racks, and a set of Seahorse 720 cases.

Brackets: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5677/854/
Racks: www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6855/118/

My biggest concern with this solution is that the SW Motech brackets look a pretty wimpy compared to the Happy Trails SU or Caribou racks and the added attachment points (so you can quiickly remove the racks, which I'll probably never do) make me nervous about durability.

I've done some Googling as well as searching on this forum and can't find any really definitive reviews on the ruggedness and durability of the SW Motech Quick Release pannier racks. Is anyone here able to remedy that?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Like I said, I did search. If I somehow missed a good post I'd be greatful if you could point me to it as opposed to flaming me for not finding it.

Thanks!
CrookedChris is offline   Reply With Quote