View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #17653
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Ryman....or anyone else, do you know if you can ride across the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation?

This Wednesday night myself and several friends are starting a 3 day ride and our jumping off point (for dirt) is intended to be Ouray southeast of Roosevelt. We plan to swing by Fantasy Canyon (never been there, pics look cool), and then south to Bonanza, Dragon, Atchee, Carbonera, and eventually to Grand Junction where we'll pick up the Kokopelli trail.

Looking at my Utah Atlas, it appears the most obvious west/east route from Ouray goes right through the reservation (labeled as "Wonsits Road" in Google Earth, but labeled as "Chapita Grove Road" on my Delorme Utah Atlas). I'm not sure if this is public access or not. If not, it appears the other option is a road that skirts the northern boundary of the reservation known as "Wyasket Bottom Road". Anyone familiar with this?

Also, is Highway 35 from (Wolf Creek Pass) open from Francis to Hanna? I assume so with our light snowpack this year, but just want to be sure.