View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #43
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 977
Talking Route 66 - what kicks?

The road out of Albuquerque took me along Route 66 part of the way, with signs such as this to ensure I was singing along all the way

I know people say the Interstates are boring, but you guys have some very amusing roadside signs. I don't want to risk offending anyone by quoting some of them.
From miles away I could see this cross by the side of the road, it was huge

Having looked at my map and having learnt from past experience, Texas is BIG, I just cut through the top bit and ended up camping near the Oklahoma border ...which takes us back to the starting page of this RR where I showed the pitiful state of my tent after the pole broke.
I also had these to contend with

lots of them scuttling around outside my tent - a little reminder to always close the zip properly.

The day did improve though. At one of the rest areas I was fascinated to discover a tornado-proof room to shelter in - handily placed between the ladies and the gents' loos.
I couldn't resist taking a look, it looked like quite an ordinary room to me, with bemches around the wall to sit on and some most informative charts on the wall showing typical cloud formations of tornadoes. I studied these carefully as I don't have much experience of this type of weather.

I took photos as well, ready for easy reference in case I do run into any dodgy looking clouds.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 05:24 PM
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote