View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #17655
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Ryman....or anyone else, do you know if you can ride across the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation?

This Wednesday night myself and several friends are starting a 3 day ride and our jumping off point (for dirt) is intended to be Ouray southeast of Roosevelt. We plan to swing by Fantasy Canyon (never been there, pics look cool), and then south to Bonanza, Dragon, Atchee, Carbonera, and eventually to Grand Junction where we'll pick up the Kokopelli trail.

Looking at my Utah Atlas, it appears the most obvious west/east route from Ouray goes right through the reservation (labeled as "Wonsits Road" in Google Earth, but labeled as "Chapita Grove Road" on my Delorme Utah Atlas). I'm not sure if this is public access or not. If not, it appears the other option is a road that skirts the northern boundary of the reservation known as "Wyasket Bottom Road". Anyone familiar with this?

Also, is Highway 35 from (Wolf Creek Pass) open from Francis to Hanna? I assume so with our light snowpack this year, but just want to be sure.
You won't have any problem with the tribe in this area although it's probably not what you think it is. The roads you reference are county roads with public access, but they are mainly used for oil field access and this area is heavy heavy oilfield. You will be riding amongst a sea of white pickups and big trucks be careful of traffic. Most oilfield hands are courteous and nice guys but they wont be expecting motos traveling at warp speed. Fantasy canyon is cool to stop and look at. Dragon trail is fun and pretty remote. Have fun!

Edit: I hope you're not leaving a pickup in Ouray. Bad idea. If you need to leave a truck somewhere make it my house and I'll show you a fun way down to Ouray.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote