View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #65
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,326
I don't by that.
I have been street riding since 1976 and never had an accident involving another vehicle.
I did low side in the rain (drunk) when I first started street riding, and just got a little rash.

Been riding in all sorts of weather, cross country, lots of long trips, rode to work every day for years, and never had an issue with a car or truck I could not handle.

Part of that is knowing when and where NOT to ride, part is being aware, and part is being paranoid.

It really bugs me that people think its ok to expect a crash every year or two or whatever, or that there was nothing they could do to prevent one.
I seems to me that the accidents that the rider could really not have done anything about are VERY rare.
I suppose a police chase is a different thing, I have only BEEN chased.
Around here, 99.9% of traffic stops are used to generate money, no reason to run a risk....
They are very happy to up the fine and lower the points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
The fact is there was likely better options than what did happen. Even taking the ditch, a very slight trajectory change could have likely avoided the culvert. However, in the split second everything happens, sometimes things are unavoidable.

Thats the problem with the armchair quarterbacks on this thread. We all can lecture for hours proper riding technique and such, but things still happen to all of us. Those that haven't crashed, will. Those who have crashed, will again. If you think otherwise, or if you think that you can "always leave yourself an out" to avoid problems then you are fooling yourself. Should you have safety avenues? Should you leave buffers in your riding? Absolutely, but sometimes things occur that are beyond your control and a person is only able to respond so fast. We are all humans and we all make mistakes. It's going to happen.

I've crashed. It hurt. It sucked. My bike was broke. I will likely crash again someday.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote