View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Nice project guys. I just donated.

For what it's worth I solo'd the 1000 last fall and learned a few things along the way and raised a little $$ for a local charity. If interested you can read the whole sordid affair here.

In no particular order, here are a few thoughts:

- sort out your nutrition for training and racing
- ride enough so your hands/arms don't fatigue. That will make the biggest impact
- sounds crazy, but spend time on a rowing machine if you can't ride.
- pull the smog stuff off of the 450x - no reason to have it on.
- buy a used 450x for pre-running and to have as spare parts. You can use the wheelset (and everything else) and sell the bike for what you paid for it when you are done.
- set the valves before the race
- run tall gearing (14/48 or more if you are faster) and get the jetting sorted
- get the suspension dialed if you are planning on running at a fast pace
- steering stabilizer of course
- make sure your light setup is bright. It can't be too bright (need aftermarker stator)
- pack a spare filter with you
- sat phones of course for you and chase
- torque all bolts with a torque wrench before the race.
- true wheels and torque spokes
- Mousse's front and rear (unless you are pro-level fast, then just front with HD rear)

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I could come up with now. Have fun with it!
Hey Pilo - this is all great stuff. Exactly what we were hoping to see.

I'm overseas with work right now and am really concerned about my training...or lack thereof. I never thought about using a rowing machine when riding is unavailable. I'll definitely be spending a lot more time on the rowing machine. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for your donation! This little project is really starting to take off.

Scott
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote