Thread: Peaklife GPS
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
Can I load City Navigator, Tracks for Australia, Oztopo 2.1b, Shonky Maps, and the standard basemap and select them individually on the 'Peaklife' GPS or is this beyond it and my capabilities. It looks like a well made unit but I'm lost..
there are two kinds of maps, vector based and bitmap based and gps units are only designed to accept one type (far as i know). all garmin maps and shonky maps are vector, where the images are made up of lines and various shapes. most other gps units use bitmap images, meaning every map is actually like a photo, e.g. made up of pixels so you need to access different images when you zoom in and out.

i think garmin gets away with charging a lot because the good offroad maps are almost all vector based. the exception i know of is oziexplorer maps but they cost a fair bit and there's a bit of a learning curve with their software. a quick google shows you can load oziexplorer on to the peaklife.

i'm a budget too, i got a garmin 1450t from dick smiths for $150 and a ram mount from ebay for $50. five inch screen, you can load up shonky maps for free and get the free garmin mapsource software for your pc then plan and upload custom routes to your gps. only drawback is its not waterproof so carry a clear plastic bag and a twist tie around.

their cheapest waterproof gps is the garmin nuvi 550 for $300. i think they are discontinued now but you can still get new ones on ebay.