Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #94
kallehof OP
kalle

Oddometer: 100
re: mom dad and the chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

Hi loflyn71,
Thanks for the link to the great vintage photos of your father ... I posted one here, if that's OK ...
-- SFMCjohn
Here are the other three.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I have been wondering if the cable from the right side of the handlebars to the magneto went down the right side of the frame or wrapped around the to the left side. Looks like it goes down the right side.

The headlight on a Chief was on the handlebars up to 1937. Then in 1938 and 1939 the headlight was mounted to the fork. So that dates the bike to pre '38. In 1937 the hub and brake drum were attached via lug nuts and the spokes were all attached to the hub.In the first picture the spokes attach to the brake drum which makes the front hub a pre '37. Lastly the shifter was moved form a jockey shift to the tank shift in 1937. Hard to tell from the photos but I don't see the mount for the tank shift (not that it's not there). If there was a picture of the right side of the bike I would be able to tell more. With all this I would say from the parts on the bike in the pictures it is either a 1935 or 1936 Indian Chief. Could it be a 1937 chief? Maybe, someone could have replace the front wheel/hub with an earlier hub and wheel, they are 100% interchangeable.

Kalle Hoffman
San Francisco

kallehof screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 04:22 PM
kallehof is offline   Reply With Quote