View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
KEN PHENIX OP
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
4/27: I had a good two day visit with daughter and son-in-law. But after plugging into the matrix for a commuter train ride to DC, it's time to hit the road again. I planned to attend the yearroundriders.com annual meetup in Huntingdon PA. Of course I could ride the meager 162 miles straight there and even stick a toe into WV in the process but NOOOO! In my infinite wisdom I decided to color in the great state of Delaware (which meant traversing the DC beltway BEFORE 6am) and head to Huntingdon via Philly instead. Turned the day into a pavement pounding 430 miles, I did. I was hoping to take the Independence Hall / Liberty Bell tour and also visit the world famous Revzilla showroom to peruse the gear. My winter gloves are the oldest component (2006) in my ATGATT ensemble - still waterproof however, much of their warmth has gone away. On the road at 5am. There's traffic but everybody's cruising at 70mph. No delays - then a tool booth, and another, and another. GEEZ ALREADY! I'M GOIN BROKE HERE!

I arrived at the Revzilla warehouse front, uh, ehem headquarters showroom at 9:30. They open at 10 so I made a few bakery related calls. Bobby spotted the bike and then me and invited me in for coffee and a little bench racing. The showroom was a veritable candy store of high end riding gear. I tried on pants, you know, just for future reference - and jackets to compare them to my new one. I was impressed with the quality of brands I'd never seen before: Klim & Dainase in particular.

On to the gloves. Most of the heavy duty winter stuff had been taken to the back but Bobby was happy to oblige. Held Freezer, Dianase Jerico and others - all excellent. ReV'it Alaska - that's the one. By the time I reached the bike I had a thank you email in my inbox.

Next stop, Independence Hall. The sat-nav took me through parts of Philly I was not supposed to see.
Then the line was 3 blocks long. Oh well, I snapped a few pictures and I was outta there.

Traffic was flowing smoothly enough but that I-76 turnpike was a grind. By the time I reached my exit, I had shelled out close to $40 in tolls for the day. OUCH! Oh but the steep grades and switchbacks of PA Hwy 641 changed my whole outlook.

Here's the gratuitous hwy 641 bridge pic:
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 07:35 AM
KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote