View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingman1 View Post
The following 200 mile loop starts and ends from Highway 176 and I-26 exit Exit 15. GPX file link is below.
The gravel sectors are maintained - no sand and a few puddles here and there. I rode my R1150GS with Conti TCX's and my friend road his GS with Metzler Tourances with no problem. We started with full tanks of gas.
The cue sheet below is a guide - not detailed driving directions. If you are not familiar with these areas, download the GPX and study it before hand.

In summary:
Highway 176 to Highway 11
Left on Highway 11 through Gowansville
Right on at signs to Camp Old Indian Boys Scout camp to Dividing Waters road
Pass Callahan Mtn road on right and continue straight
Right turn onto Dividing Waters road
Dividing water road up Greenville Watershed to Bob's Creek
Left onto Bob's creek
At stop sign, right onto Green River road. (Church across the road)
First gravel sector into DuPont Forest
Road name changes from Green River road to Reasonover Road
Right onto Cascade Lakes road
Second gravel sector on Cascade lakes
At end of Cascade lakes, left towards Brevard and Pisgah Forrest. (look at the map, follow the GPS track)
Pit stop at Pisgah Ranger station
Continue on Highway 276
Third gravel road Right onto FS road at Avery Creek/Horse stable road. NOTE: Take the hairpin turns on the outside.
Left at junction with Highway 276, then right onto
Forth gravel sector at FS 475B
At end of FS 475B make hard right and continue to
Fifth gravel sector FS 475 (bear left)
At end of FS 475, turn right at stop sign
Right at stop sign onto Parkway Road and begin ascent to Blue ridge Parkway on good pavement
At junction with Parkway, get on Parkway headed North
Side trip and pit stop at Black Balsam parking are on left (optional)
Continue on BRP towards Pisgah Inn.
Lunch break at Pisgah Inn with everyone else on the Parkway
Continue North on Parkway
After descending and going through several tunnels take right at Bent Creek Gap onto
Gravel sector six. Descend to Mills River Recreation area
At Mills River, go left towards Highway 280. (Option is to go right onto Gravel sector seven which brings you out back on highway 276 at the Cradle of Forestry - not on GPX track)
At junction with Highway 280, go right back towards Brevard.
At Brevard, go left on Old Greenville highway up the back side of Caesar's Head and down Caesar's Head to Highway 11
At junction with Highway 11, go left and continue on 11.
Fuel stop at Gowensville
Continue on Highway 11 to Campobello,
Bear right onto Highway 176 back through Inman to the start at I-26 Exit 15.

Link to GPX below:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_J...lVsSEloSVI3bjQ

or

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1129000
Glad to see someone else beginning to log the roads and rides in SC. We're doing the same in lower part of the state. So far, "the HoCat" is our favorite, but we've got a group going again this weekend to add to the Francis Marion tracks I've put up. Go to www.duapsportmaps.com, and zoom in on the area just north east of Charleston, SC. You'll see the tracks, and photos added so far. The original HoCat hasn'[t been confirmed in the dualsportmap site, but most of it is shown in three legs (approx 150 mi) loop around Walterboro.

Our group would like to make a short weekend camp up to the NC/GA/SC mountains for some riding. Could anyone in this group hook us up with guidance or more suggested tracks?

Clint
StolenFant is online now   Reply With Quote