View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #1592
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
98 is a highly desirable year. First year of fuel injection but still has the gear driven cams. With good records I wouldn't be scared of it at all.

It may need some regular higher mileage maintenance items addressed soon such as fork seals and bushings, chain and sprockets, F and R wheel bearings and steering head bearings, etc.

Find out of the Reg/Rec has been replaced with a better unit and if the rear shock has been replaced because at 68K it's definitely shot.
Thanks to all that answered. Looks like I've got a lot of learning to do. Turns out when I met up with the guy I kind of, sort of, knew him. He's a tech/sales guy at our local Honda dealer. I'd seen him before, this was his personal bike.
Maintenance wise it's had:
Head bearings
Speed sensor
Lots of oil changes with Mobil 1
New clutch
Fork seals
New chain/sprockets
Cush drive
No changes to the charging system that he was aware of, he said he'd had it for 20,000 miles or so.

From the sound of things he rode it more or less, daily. It needs a VERY good bath. I also may paint the crappy bodywork something simple like white, more on that below.

I got it for $2,500, the only thing that worries me is it has some crappy aftermarket plastics. I'm worried I paid to much for it with it having non stock bodywork. It's got one of those Chinese body work kits on it so it doesn't fit the best.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to turn in all that well but I've been riding a Ninja 250 recently and a KLR before that so I'm sure it will take some getting used to.

doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote