View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #132
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Simply awesome.....and mildly amusing...... it works great.....
Out came the packing..... I realize that there are a lot of different packing available. I have used this glass packing with great results. It does a fantastic job at attenuating sound...while lasting a long time before repack...

How to pack a muffler...... Well... you get 20 different people... they will offer 40 different ideas, and ways ...how to pack it, so this is merely my way....and perhaps as good, and bad as others. There will be a video uploaded in a few minutes, that explain this better. But the idea here is to lightly pack the glass around the core. Too tight...and it will last forever, but offers poor attenuation...too lightly...it'l blow out quick, but attenuate good.... So right in the middle.

Video of the packing.....
">

To the top...then end cap filled.....

Then the end cap was careful guided into position.....

The rim band was then carefully tapped into position....

Holes were drilled for the rivets....and here they are side by side....

Note the same overall length.....with a gain of about 1.5 inches of core.....

It is a substantially bigger pipe......with a gain of about 1 inch in both with and height..... But the loss of metals....paid off.....over one pound of weight savings.....whooooeeee I wasn't sure....but had a good feeling about this...
LVone

Viking pipe.....

Installed on the bike......

The video's are uploading as we speak..... But the perceived noise drop was more noticeable than the meter indicated.....as the LVone.....has very little low frequency rumble, but a harsh....to me.... snappy sound. The Viking pipe has a lower rumble...but the meter don't lie, in the overall measured levels.... Idle LVone was at 94 db....Viking 90db..... SAE 20 inches@3000 rpm 45deg approach...LVone 102db....Viking 100db. But the ticker here is the much more pleasant sound....with a lower rumble...rather than a snappy high pitch sound...... Be back with the video's shortly..... Kiddos are watching Netflix....grrrrr... takes away the bandwidth.....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 01:39 PM Reason: Added You tube video.
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote