View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
RhodeHazard OP
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 654
I met Cook Neilson last spring.

Bill Shelton, the owner of Art Of The BIke had invited me down to his annual Classic Bikes and Blues festival in Tinicum Park in Erwinna PA. I had met Bill the previous year at a European Motorcycle event in MA where we began talking about designs and art for his company and became good friends.

I rode my Harley down from Rhode Island laden with prints, easels and a sleeping bag. When I arrived at Bill's home, he asked me to come with him to meet some friends for dinner. I doffed the freight from the back of the bike and struggled to keep up with Bill's vintage Kawasaki 2-Stroke through the twisty roads along the Delaware River.

At the restaurant I sat down next to Cook. He was to be the Master of Ceremonies for the festival the next day and I spent the next hours in awe listening to tales of racing superbikes in the seventies, the struggles of competing against the factory racers, of Ducatis and of Old Blue.

Early this year I contacted Cook to see if he remembered me and if he might be interested in my creating a portrait of he and his Ducati. I was very surprised when he agreed, stating that he really liked my work and sent me photographs to work from.

When I completed the drawing and showed it to him I was happy to hear that he liked it and surprised when he insisted on signing a batch of prints. I packed 50 prints and some camping gear on my KLR and pointed northward. I arrived at Cook's breathtaking home and met his lovely wife Stepper. They invited me for dinner and made me feel completely at home. We ate raviolis, drank beer, watched Moto GP Racing, spoke of old cars, motorcycles, trees, land and our families. It was difficult to believe it was real and I am not sure I have ever met more wonderful people.

I am pleased to announce that I have a limited number of 50 prints of Cook Neilson and Old Blue signed by Cook himself available at MotorbikeArtist.com or here.

SIGNED COOK NEILSON #31 DUCATI "OLD BLUE" 750 SS
8x10 print $28

the text "www.MotorbikeArtist.com" does not appear on actual prints

-Ernie Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post

COOK NEILSON #31 DUCATI "OLD BLUE" 750 SS
8x10 print $14

the text "www.MotorbikeArtist.com" does not appear on actual prints

RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote